Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Action Research Week 2

I am beginning to learn that when it comes to action research I have to not only find a topic that interests me, but also one that I won't want to embellish.  For instance, one of my topics deals with classroom pullouts.  This is a sore spot for me because I am an elective teacher.  My premise or main question on the subject is:  What affect do classroom pullouts have on standardized test scores as well as performance in class?  I know what the answer should be, but at what cost.  When you pull a student out of a particular class ,usually an elective, to "get help" in another class, aren't you depriving that student his/her education in the class missed?  When is the time made up for the class missed?  I could go on and on about my feelings on the matter.  But, I have learned this week that I have to focus on the topic at hand.  Apparently these other side notes will have to wait.  Please feel free to suggest or help in any way if you think my action research should go another direction.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kurt,

    I have never been an elective teacher, but I make friends easily and have many "elective teacher" friends. I understand your fustration with pullouts, but am not sure that many campuses know what else to do. I too worked on a campus that implemented pull outs and effective or not, it was what we did. Many of the elective teachers were very upset by it. In fact it really hurt their programs. Unfortunately it was what my campus felt worked for the "type" of students that we housed and taught. As administrators we have to do what is best for th students as a whole, be that we are hurting the basketball team or the band, so be it. Right? I hope that you are able to find the answers you are looking for and should you find that pullouts are in fact ineffective, you may want to ponder some alternatives. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete